Sunday, 25 May 2014

FMP Evaluation

In consideration to my theme, provoking perceptions, I created a 3D model of a Hindu Temple and a floor model on Google Sketch Up to confirm navigation throughout the temple itself.

I started by looking into exposed structures as this was the most obvious form of creating perception within something; it is open to the world so that it can be seen through. I was heavily influenced by structures like the Cubierta de El Molinete by Amann (Canovas y Maruri) in Spain and Cloud Cities by Tomas Saraceno. My research led me to understand how the positioning of a structure creates a major difference in the final outcome. I then began looking into forms of manipulating light and how this affects perception on the atmosphere (I did this with the book, ‘Questions of perception’ by Holl, Pallasmaa and Perez-Gomez). Then I moved onto human movement, looking at artists like William Anastasi’s ‘Subway Drawings’ and after that, the organic elements within architecture through Andy Goldsworthy.

After looking into different ways society can influence architecture, I finally chose to design a temple as religion is one of the most significant agencies of change. I found a client (a local Hindu charity organisation) and attended their actual prayer events to hand out questionnaires to understand their preferences (design wise) and what they required.

Through development I combined three subthemes together; light and conceptualism, exposure and geometric designs, as well as repetition.

My final outcome in relation to my original project proposal differs in terms of to which extent the interior of the structure was made exposed to the general public. After deciding my brief, I had to structure my proposal to fit around my brief, so for a religious scene a more closed off and secluded design was required. I used Hindu symbolism and manipulation of light to introduce new ways of allowing the interior to be exposed.

I used my sketchbook, blog, initial FMP plan and feedback from teachers as well as my peers to evaluate the progress of my project every week. These tools have helped me to develop my work intensely as they have provided me with a step by step guide to my final outcome. Through my plan I kept track of time and made sure everything was done accordingly. My blog helped me with annotations and gave me a clearer view towards the final product as it was a lot more precise than my sketchbook. Nevertheless, my sketchbook has been the most significant tool out of the above; here I recorded everything, from existing research to small sketches of ideas, this method let me explore my ideas visually all together helping me to generate new ones. It was an at hand tool. Also, through the annotation in my sketchbook I explained my ideas and how areas linked together.

Through all these methods combined, I was able to see where I went wrong and which areas I was strongest in throughout my FMP. I used this information to work through problematic areas to perfect my design for the final outcome.

These are the targets which I made at the start of the FMP. I have met all of them, although some took longer than others. This has taught me to plan my time more carefully and responsibly.
  1. Create a final model which is sufficient and looks professional.
  2. Incorporate the research into my work.
  3.  Create a finished project which reflects and links back to my project proposal.

As my project was based on perceptions and influences, I took the main symbol of Hinduism, , and incorporated that into the layout of the final model. Similar to structures like the BBC studio it provides an image from bird’s eye view of what the building’s original function is. Also, through experimentation I have found light to be a fascinating and innovative development tool. Each new flare creates a spontaneous change to the structure and so I incorporated this into my design as well. The shadows and highlights can be perceived in many different ways so this links in very well with my project proposal. Through experimentation I tried to maintain a link between a conceptual design and a functional structure.  

The first time I tried to create the final piece the structure broke apart after a few hours. I used plywood which was also hard to cut. On my second attempt, I was able to deduce a way of curving the wood so that it would not break apart like the first time.

Also, the perforated card I used for the roof at first was white; this did not allow light through well, the colour blended in with the shine, I replaced it with a black piece instead which helped contrast the shine and darkness together, allowing the light to show up brighter.

Throughout my tutorials I was told to experiment more into things which related to everyday human interaction as my idea was so heavily based on the mind and how individuals in society are affected. When talking about what I was designing, my tutors told me to try to design something which was more close to my own experiences as it would help me to look more deeply into the project and my analysis would be stronger. Also it would help me to answer the question from my project proposal, ‘how does the exterior take away personality from the architect.’

To improve my FMP I would really focus on my time management skills as I think due to time I was unable to add as many things as I wanted to. Also, I should have used Harvard referencing after every image so that I would not have to repeat all of it at the end, which furthermore made me lose time.

Through this FMP my model making skills have improved a lot, I have also improved in Photoshop. Before I was not able to apply elements from existing structures into my own and experiment to develop my ideas but now I am able to do that a lot more easily and this has really helped me in terms of moving my work along faster and producing more work in short amounts of time. Photoshop is a vital skill to have in the design industry as it helps you to attain the type of model and image you want. It especially came in handy when I had to add scale to my models and put my final model into location. I also used Photoshop to manipulate a lot of my experimental models.  These skills will help me next year in degree level architecture as I will be able to create better models faster and alter them to my satisfaction using Photoshop.


Next year I plan to be studying BA Architecture at Kent University.

No comments:

Post a Comment