Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Week Six: Day One

Idea Three: Repetition


(Wikipedia)
Traditional Hindu temples have a very distinct repetitive pattern. Taking inspiration from this, for my third idea I started to look into repetitive forms and how they come together to create structures. For this part of my project since I already have a clear view of my final outcome thought up I will look into how I can change the aesthetics and entire look of my design to make slightly more similar to that of a traditional temple.

I went back to the theme of inverting my models and creating xray like images with them.


(Authors Own, 2014)
I used black Indian ink to make simple sketches of the model. Due to the arched components, to me it looks very similar to a spine or a rib cage. Using the ‘difference’ filter in Photoshop helped me to see this more clearly. This would be perfect for the roof of the temple as similarly how the cross in the Sunset Chapel lets light in and out, these circular shapes layered over one another can do something similar for the temple roof. It provides a sense of protection and gives a view of the outside, so the user can appreciate the aesthetics of the scenery, this leads to a feeling of relaxation, and can reflect on their own spiritual thoughts.

I recreated the model again using wood and rings I cut out using the laser cutter. Layering this over the roof would make the temple more interesting and would aid to the purpose as well.








Royal Albert Hall
Francis Fowke & Henry Y.D. Scott
The inner structure of the Royal Albert Hall is very similar to that of the Disney Concert Hall. I looked closely at the aesthetics of the room and the ceiling. Similarly to my idea, this structure also as circular disks on the ceiling, this is to reduce the acoustics within the room, making the performances to a higher quality than if they were not there.

No comments:

Post a Comment